IAS officers play crucial role in the Union Government, States governments and public-sector undertakings. The IAS is known for the category ‘A’ government service is a very special and esteemed government post.
IAS full form
IAS full form is Indian Administrative Service, is a national level competition exam conducted by UPSC, annually to recruit candidates for civil services like IAS(Administrate), IPS(Police), IFS (Foreign), IAAS, IRS, IDAS, CAPF-AF and others.
IAS Exam Pattern
The IAS Exam Pattern consists of below three stages
Stage 1: IAS Prelims
Stage 2: IAS Mains
Stage 3: Interview/ Personality Test.
Age Limit & Educational Qualifications for IAS
Candidates have to fulfill the eligibility criteria set by the authorities to take the exam. The eligibility parameters are set on the basis of Nationality, Age Limit, Educational Qualifications, Number of Attempts and Physical Standards. Given below are the IAS Exam Eligibility Criteria:
1. For IAS and IPS, applicants must be a citizen of India.
2.Other services require candidates to be either,
- Citizen of India
- Subject of Nepal
- Subject of Bhutan
- Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962 to settle permanently.
- An Indian origin migrant from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam who came to permanently settle in India.
The lower age limit for IAS Exam 2019 is 21 years while upper age limit is 32 years.
There is upper age relaxation for reserved category candidates, which is as follows:
- SC/ST- Upto 5 years
- OBC- Upto 3 years
- Defence Services Personnel disabled in operations during hostilities- Upto 3 years
- Ex-servicemen- Upto 5 years
- ECOs/SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of five years of Military Service- Upto 5 years
- PwD candidates- Upto 10 years
- Domiciles of Jammu and Kashmir from January 1, 1980 to December 31, 1989- Upto 5 years. Check IAS 2019 Eligibility.
IAS exam Educational Qualifications
Applicants must hold a graduate degree or equivalent qualification from a recognized university.
UPSC Number of Attempts
Only six attempts are allowed for a candidate to clear IAS Exam.
IAS Cut off – Category- wise
The minimum qualifying marks or cut off is released by the authorities post the declaration of result of each stage. Candidates scoring more than or equal to the cut off marks are eligible for the next step of the selection process.
The cut off for both the examinations depends upon a number of factors like the difficulty level of the IAS Exam, vacancies available and number of appearing candidates etc.
UPSC Prelims Syllabus
Syllabus for GS Paper (Prelims Paper I)
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialisation.
- General Science
Syllabus for CSAT Paper (Prelims Paper II)
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
You need to apply for the exam in online mode only after visiting the website.
IAS position is prestigious a noble profession. It is a national level competition exam. The competition is very tough but the regular hardwork and updated with the current affairs makes the person to become an IAS.
Are you preparing for IAS exam? mention in comments!
You May Also Like These Posts:-
Share This Post If you find this useful